[swift-evolution] [Proposal][Discussion] Qualified Imports

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 10:23:37 CDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 2:02 AM, Robert Widmann <rwidmann at apple.com> wrote:

> [...]
> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 20, 2016, at 10:04 PM, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 10:33 PM, Robert Widmann <
>> devteam.codafi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> ~Robert Widmann
>>>
>>> 2016/07/20 19:01、Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <
>>> swift-evolution at swift.org> のメッセージ:

>>> My sense, which I think has been echoed by others, is that the proposed
>>> solution is syntactically complex, and now that I understand that you're
>>> thinking through a multi-phase concept, also conceptually multilayered. I'm
>>> not arguing that the existing syntax for qualified imports doesn't need
>>> changing, only that there is room for radical simplification of the
>>> proposed solution IMO. As I re-read this proposal once more, it strikes me
>>> that the motivating issues identified (needlessly specific, does not
>>> compose, etc.) don't clearly argue for the specific direction proposed as
>>> opposed to alternatives like Joe's.
>>>

>>> Perhaps they need to reread the proposal.  Syntactically complex how?
>>> We're introducing two keywords and using tuple syntax.  Our grammar changes
>>> are laid bare and take up 7 lines.  I think there might be a general air of
>>> confusing semantics changes with syntax changes.
>>>

>> I can't speak for the general air, but putting on my disinterested reader
>> hat, I can see why the confusion might arise--
>>
>> The Motivation section begins:
>> "The existing syntax for qualified imports..."
>>
>> And the Proposed Solution begins:
>> "The grammar and semantics of qualified imports..."
>>
>> But the Detailed Design begins:
>> "Qualified import syntax will be revised..."
>>
>> It's neither here nor there in terms of the proposal content, but suffice
>> it to say that if one strings together the topic sentences in your
>> proposal, the overarching narrative to be gleaned here is: "The current
>> syntax for qualified imports is no good; therefore, we revise the semantics
>> of qualified imports by changing the syntax." Sure.
>>

>> Ne’er the twain shall meet.

>>> Perhaps I'm not phrasing my question very cogently. Of course, if we are
>>> to have `using`, `hiding`, and `renaming`, we must observe the distinctions
>>> between them.
>>>

>>> If you don’t want to think of them as part of the same import process,

>>> The examples worry me, in fact. That we might need to contemplate the
>>> behavior of a statement such as `import Foo using () hiding () hiding ()
>>> using () hiding ()` suggests it's perhaps a little over-engineered for the
>>> purpose. Why allow chaining of `using` and `hiding` anyway? The only
>>> example given is of a nested type, which suggests nesting would be the way
>>> to go:
>>>

>>> We allow chaining specifically to avoid that nesting behavior.  Let's
>>> break up that chained import line by line to see why
>>>
>>> import Swift using (String, Int, Double, Character)
>>>                       hiding (String.UTF8View)
>>>
>>> import Swift // Scope contains {all identifiers in Swift}
>>> using (String, Int, Double, Character) // Scope contains {String.*,
>>> Int.*, Double.*, Character.*}
>>>                       hiding (String.UTF8View) // Scope contains
>>> {{String.* - String.UTF8View.*}, Int.*, Double.*, Character.*}
>>>

>>> We express the exact same example in a much more human-readable way.
>>> You can read this out loud in plain English if you don't believe me:
>>> "import everything in Swift that is in String, Int, Double, and Character
>>> except String.UTF8View"
>>>

>> I have to disagree with your reasoning here. Unless I'm mistaken, the
>> readability we're most concerned with is that of the written text, not its
>> spoken form.
>>
>> Nesting is an almost exclusively _visual_ way of organizing text and it
>> adds real clarity on the page. Of course, if your litmus test for
>> readability is literally trying to read it out loud, you would conclude
>> that nesting is inferior. However, you'd make that same conclusion about so
>> many other choices in Swift syntax (take, for instance, `:` instead of
>> `extends` or `->` instead of `returns`). I conclude, on the other hand,
>> that Swift is clearly not aiming to be AppleScript-like in this respect.
>>

>> I disagree.  Standard Library Swift reads left to right in a very
>> carefully chosen and consistent manner - it has been refined on this list
>> and by the team quite a lot to get it that way.  You seem to think I’m
>> arguing verbosity is the end goal (AppleScript?): I’m not.  Clarity is the
>> goal.  It is unambiguous what you mean when you say
>>
>> import Swift using (String, Int, Double) hiding (String.UTF8View)
>>

> Is it ambiguous to say `import Swift using (String hiding (UTF8View), Int,
> Double)`?
>

> What happens when it is time to extend this proposal to members?

Short answer: don't.

Long answer: I've been studying documentation for the Agda model on which
you're basing this proposal. I like it a lot, and it doesn't have any of
these issues we're discussing.

First: there's the distinction in Agda between `import` and `open`. It's
`open` that allows you to hide and "re-"name, and these operations only
concern the short, unqualified names that are exposed, never changing
what's imported. Thus, none of this is mutating the API.  By contrast, I
see Agda offers `as` for importing something as something else, just like
what's has been suggested in this thread and the last. All of this--the
distinction between import and open, the distinction between `import ...
as` and what's essentially typealiasing--reflects very closely the
semantics found in other languages which I was trying to describe to you
(poorly) yesterday.

I don't see any facility in Agda where qualified names for definitions can
be vaporized post-hoc by `hiding`. [Yes, I know that technically you're not
making anything disappear, etc.; but the point is that when I'm hiding
frobnicate() from Foo the original Foo.frobnicate() is no longer in the way
of whatever I want to do.] Can you give an example where this is permitted
in any other language? Why would you want to be able to do this to
individual members? As discussed in the previous thread, it seems a recipe
for some really nasty stuff.

Second: Agda explicitly prohibits chaining `using` and `hiding`. In fact,
one piece of documentation said that the reason for this prohibition was
"obvious."

If we're to go down the road of taking inspiration from Agda, I think your
proposal is missing some of the key things that make it work well. In that
language, a sharp distinction is drawn between import and open, and we
could do well to observe the same. I've always thought it problematic that
`import Foundation` in Swift does both so that we're stuck with unqualified
names for everything in Foundation. It would probably be too late to make
that distinction past Swift 3. Moreover, I'd seriously reconsider for the
future whether facilities to hide members are appropriate for import
statements, and whether trying to accommodate such facilities now is
worthwhile. And I'd consider why it is that Agda prohibits freeform
chaining of using, hiding and renaming, and whether Swift needs it for
anything. It is not ideal to have to explain what `hiding (String) using
(String)` does; it shouldn't be possible to write such a thing.

This syntax fits well with the overall direction of the language itself.
>> For example, I use whitespace here out of habit but here’s nothing stopping
>> you from making these look like the (meta)function invocations they really
>> are
>>
>> import Swift
>>   using(String, Int, Double)
>>   hiding(String.UTF8View)
>>

>> In the comments you've used the nested notation `{{String.* -
>> String.UTF8View.*}, Int.*, Double.*, Character.*}` to explain what it is
>> your proposed syntax means. I really do find that, with all the punctuation
>> in it, clearer than the chained notation. Of course, written `(String
>> hiding UTF8View), Int, Double, Character`, it would be clearer still.
>>
>> Critically, it eliminates the possibility of absurd chains of `hiding ()
>> using () hiding () using ()`, which create many more ways to represent the
>> same subset of imports than can a nested syntax.
>>

>> If you wish to express this, why should the language stop you?
>>

> Given two options for syntax, one where expressing this chain is never
> necessary or even possible, and another where it is possible and perhaps
> even necessary, the former wins in terms of clarity, no?
>

> Yours does not exclude this possibility, it merely shuffles it around
> (unless you plan on banning the empty tuple.  In which case, why?)

The first part answers the second :)
I wouldn't use tuples at all. Moreover, since you seem to be requiring
parentheses around single elements, you're not even really using tuples
here, but rather argument lists. As Brandon mentioned above, I don't see
the need to try to use either tuples or argument lists:

```
import Swift using String, Int, Double
import Swift using (String hiding UTF8View), Int, Double
```

> import Swift using (String using(UTF8View hiding ()), Int hiding (),
> Double hiding())
>
> At this point we’re just circling around an edge case described in the
> proposal as ripe for a merge-by-diagnostic.

The point I'm making is that chaining is inelegant in general, the edge
case being only an extreme example of where it goes off the rails. In other
words, the edge case is an argument ad absurdum for a larger issue. Of
course, the edge case itself can be flagged by a diagnostic. There
shouldn't have to be a need for it.

 Or better yet: we can offer diagnostics about this case just as we can