[swift-evolution] [Proposal][Discussion] Qualified Imports

Pyry Jahkola pyry.jahkola at iki.fi
Thu Jul 21 02:34:48 CDT 2016

> On 21 Jul 2016, at 10:29, Robert Widmann <devteam.codafi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This proposal is specifically source breaking because we're only trying to deprecate and remove
>
> import {class|func|struct|...} Module.Entity
>
> -style imports (which not too many people seem to know actually exist).

That's a worthy goal. But do we need to offer and implement the alternative? Could we not live without that syntax while we nail down the better import syntax?

I've used the explicit import syntax a few times to make it clear what I'm importing, but I wouldn't really miss it if it got removed in Swift 3, and an alternative was added back in Swift 3.1.

— Pyry