[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Remove force unwrapping in function signature.

Saagar Jha saagarjha28 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 19:24:22 CDT 2016

Sorry for the last email…I didn’t see your response.

I realize that disallowing IUOs in parameters (but not as properties) is inconsistent, but IUOs for properties make sense: they must be set during initialization, but sometimes this isn’t possible. IUOs make it possible to use the property just as any other non-Optional one, provided the property is set before it is used (see the proposal). This kind of guarantee doesn’t work for function parameters and return values.

As for IUOs for non-audited methods; why can’t they just all use Optional parameters? It should have the same behavior as before, since you can pass in both an Optional as well as a non-Optional even today.

Saagar Jha