[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review #2] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

L. Mihalkovic laurent.mihalkovic at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 17:01:34 CDT 2016

Regards
(From mobile)

On Jul 20, 2016, at 7:34 PM, John McCall via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> There is no such language problem in Swift 2 with sealed methods: an internal open member is sealed by virtue of not being externally visible. It’s straightforward to add a public final trampoline in the rare case when a sealed member should also be made externally callable. I believe the proposal works perfectly well without adding a language feature for this uncommon usecase.
>>
>>> The goal here is not to create new expressive power, it's to establish a comprehensible intermediate position that's acceptable as a default so that publicizing an API doesn't require so much annotation and bookkeeping.  Otherwise, programmers are forced to immediately decide between over-promising (by making the method publicly overridable) or breaking their own code (if they have internal overrides).
>>
>> But making API public should never be done in a hurry. It includes making the API presentable, which involves some amount of refactoring. Granted, if an API has internally overridden methods that the author wants to make public but sealed, then they'd need to refactor these methods. But given how rare this is, and how easy it is to implement the trampoline pattern, is such a trivial refactoring step really too much to ask? (There are a number of much more complicated refactorings involved in making an API public; e.g., it is often the case that a method I want to make public has a parameter or return value with a type that I wish to keep internal.)
>
> I agree that having the concept of "visible publicly but only arbitrary modifiable internally" adds complexity to the language.  However, once we've got non-open public classes — and as I understand it, you still support those — that complexity already exists.  You're not really eliminating anything by preventing this from being applied to methods.
>
> Also, we're going to be proposing a lot of new things for library-resilience over the next six months or so that will add appreciable but unavoidable complexity to the language around module boundaries.  Module boundaries have a lot of special significance in the language design because Swift takes the stable binary interface problem much more seriously than, I think, almost any other language can claim to.

Considering how most people in this list likely do not understand where there is an issue and the fact that most of the planet's servers have done reasonably until today with only a pre9-java solution, i wonder who these enhancements are meant for? Binary sharing in the apple world is very limited outside apple, so at this point I question if these will be for users or something else we will have to overcome.