[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0125: Remove NonObjectiveCBase and isUniquelyReferenced

Arnold aschwaighofer at apple.com
Wed Jul 20 08:33:42 CDT 2016

On Darwin and iOS systems it would be hard to implement a uniques check efficiently for objective c objects.

You can't rely on retainCount is what I remember. NonPointer ISA, slide tables that contain weak and actual reference counts would make it hard to make such a check efficient.

This would certainly be out of scope for swift  3

We can add the API you propose later.

It has different semantics to the existing API.

Sent from my iPhone