[swift-evolution] [Review #2] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Joseph Lord joseph at human-friendly.com
Tue Jul 19 17:46:52 CDT 2016

+1 I'm sold by Brent's reasoning that sealed is the only way to keep options open, both for any given library and for the whole Swift language. I've stayed quiet until now because while philosophically inclined to final by default I was concerned about potential complexity and confusion.

I haven't read everything on the mailing list but I've read several blog posts on both sides.

In terms of the necessity of subclassing it feels to me that subclassing where not designed for it is a similar in principle to using private APIs which may at times be the only way to achieve certain things but at least on iOS the App Store policies prevent that.

I don't have very strong views about the syntax I'm afraid but if this is something that could be reversed there should be an explicit version of the default sealed case (like internal is with for access controls).

Joseph