[swift-evolution] Change Request: Make myString.hasPrefix("") and myString.hasSuffix("") return true

Ted F.A. van Gaalen tedvgiosdev at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 07:44:15 CDT 2016

Hi Dave

“true” ? am I going nuts ? :o)

var str = "Hello, playground"

print( str.hasPrefix("”)) // case 1 : false

print( str.hasSuffix("”)) // case 2 : false

print("" == “a” )          // case 3 : false

Currently, all cases above evaluate to “false”
i think that is correct, because:

How can an empty string be a prefix or suffix value?
as there is no empty string present in a non-empty string.

Note that if case 1 and case 2 would evaluate to “true”,
it would conflict with case 3.

Can’t imagine that case 3 should in future also result in “true”

??

-----

Also I hope that changes to String functionality
for Swift 4 are not backward breaking changes
even the more for string handling, because Strings
are heavily used in most apps.

I am firmly convinced that all future releases of Swift
should compile Swift 3 and higher source files without
any changes 100 % flawlessly! This prevents early diminishing
of Swift’s popularity, especially with those building large
codebases using Swift.

I’ve started a thread about this a week ago,
however no one found this important enough to
share their opinions with me yet, or were too busy with
other subjects to do so.

Increasingly I have dreams, me
programming complete apps in Smalltalk
and then automagically generate
an macOS, tvOS or iOS runtime app of it.

(I have also dreams of this world becoming
a nice and peaceful placebut that is
beyond the context of this forum)

Kind Regards
TedvG