[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0121: Remove `Optional` Comparison Operators

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Sun Jul 17 07:50:44 CDT 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

Another quick hit. The proposal says this:

>>> Until generics are more mature, the issue of Optional being conditionally Comparable can't be fully discussed/implemented, so it makes the most sense to remove these questionably-useful operators for now (a breaking change for Swift 3), and add them back in the future if desired.

But I'm not sure I agree with this logic. The feature is already there, and if we keep it, the current version is source-compatible with a conditional-conformance-based version. I'm not convinced the right answer is to throw it away now and potentially reintroduce a completely compatible version later.

If we're *not* going to introduce a Comparable conformance for Optional, of course, by all means get rid of this today. But I'm not convinced this is the sort of thing we should be afraid to get rid of in the future, and thus, I'm not sure it's the kind of thing we should be afraid to keep for now until we make a final decision.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies