[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0123: Disallow coercion to optionals in operator arguments

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Sun Jul 17 07:44:22 CDT 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I'm not in favor.

Briefly: I may soon propose an overload of `..<` like so:

	func ..< <Bound: Comparable>(lhs: Bound?, rhs: Bound?) -> IncompleteRange<Bound> {…}

This operator is one which ought to lift its parameters to greater optionality. I can only assume there will be other operators like this too.

There may be a place for making the lifting behavior more explicit, either only in operators, or in all functions. But I don't think disabling lifting always in operators and never in functions is the best solution.

(I hope to have this ready for a second look in the next couple days. It's at the top of my to-do list.)

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies