[swift-evolution] Pitch: Remove `NonObjectiveCBase` and replace `isUniquelyReferenced` by `isUniquelyReferencedUnsafe`

Arnold Schwaighofer aschwaighofer at apple.com
Sun Jul 17 00:50:28 CDT 2016

Updated proposal:

Remove NonObjectiveCBase and isUniquelyReferenced

Proposal: SE-0000 <https://github.com/aschwaighofer/swift-evolution/blob/remove_nonobjectivecbase/proposals/0000-remove-nonobjectivecbase.md>
Author: Arnold Schwaighofer <https://github.com/aschwaighofer>
Review manager: TBD
 <https://github.com/aschwaighofer/swift-evolution/tree/remove_nonobjectivecbase#introduction>Introduction

Remove NonObjectiveCBase and isUniquelyReferenced<T: NonObjectiveCBase>(_ object: T). isUniquelyReferenced can be replaced by isUniquelyReferencedNonObjC<T: AnyObject>(_ object: T). This replacement is as performant as the call to isUniquelyReferenced in cases where the compiler has static knowledge that the type of object is a native Swift class. This change will remove surface API.

Swift-evolution thread: Pitch <https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160711/024515.html>
Swift bug: SR-1962 <http://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-1962>
Branch with change to stdlib: remove_nonobjectivecbase <https://github.com/aschwaighofer/swift/tree/remove_nonobjectivecbase>
 <https://github.com/aschwaighofer/swift-evolution/tree/remove_nonobjectivecbase#motivation>Motivation

Today we have isUniquelyReferenced which only works on subclasses of NonObjectiveCBase, and we have isUniquelyReferencedNonObjC which also works on @objc classes.

class SwiftKlazz : NonObjectiveCBase {}
class ObjcKlazz : NSObject {}

expectTrue(isUniquelyReferenced(SwiftKlazz()))
expectFalse(isUniquelyReferencedNonObjC(ObjcKlazz()))

// Would not compile:
expectFalse(isUniquelyReferenced(ObjcKlazz()))
In most cases we expect developers to be using the ManagedBufferPointer type. In cases where they want to use a custom class they would use isUniquelyReferenced today and can use isUniquelyReferencedNonObjC in the future.

class SwiftKlazz {}

expectTrue(isUniquelyReferencedNonObjC(SwiftKlazz()))
Removing isUniquelyReferenced<T : NonObjectiveCBase> will allow us to remove the NonObjectiveCBase class from the standard library thereby further shrinking API surface.

 <https://github.com/aschwaighofer/swift-evolution/tree/remove_nonobjectivecbase#proposed-solution>Proposed solution

Remove isUniquelyReferenced<T : NonObjectiveCBase> and remove the NonObjectiveCBase class from the standard library. Clients of the the isUniquelyReferenced API can be migrated to use isUniquelyReferencedNonObjC. In most cases -- where the type of the object parameter is statically known to be a native non- at objc class -- the resulting code will have identical performance characteristics. In cases where the type is statically not known it will have the slight overhead of first checking that the dynamic type is not an @objc class.

 <https://github.com/aschwaighofer/swift-evolution/tree/remove_nonobjectivecbase#detailed-design>Detailed design

Todays APIs that can be used to check uniqueness is the family of isUniquelyReferenced functions.

/// Returns `true` iff `object` is a non-`@objc` class instance with
/// a single strong reference.
///
/// * Does *not* modify `object`; the use of `inout` is an
///   implementation artifact.
/// * If `object` is an Objective-C class instance, returns `false`.
/// * Weak references do not affect the result of this function.
///
/// Useful for implementing the copy-on-write optimization for the
/// deep storage of value types:
///
///     mutating func modifyMe(_ arg: X) {
///       if isUniquelyReferencedNonObjC(&myStorage) {
///         myStorage.modifyInPlace(arg)
///       }
///       else {
///         myStorage = self.createModified(myStorage, arg)
///       }
///     }
public func isUniquelyReferencedNonObjC<T : AnyObject>(_ object: inout T) -> Bool
public func isUniquelyReferencedNonObjC<T : AnyObject>(_ object: inout T?) -> Bool

/// A common base class for classes that need to be non-`@objc`,
/// recognizably in the type system.
public class NonObjectiveCBase {
  public init() {}
}

public func isUniquelyReferenced<T : NonObjectiveCBase>(
  _ object: inout T
) -> Bool
And the somewhat higher level APIs that can be used to model a storage with several elements ManagedBufferPointer.

/// Contains a buffer object, and provides access to an instance of
/// `Header` and contiguous storage for an arbitrary number of
/// `Element` instances stored in that buffer.
///
/// For most purposes, the `ManagedBuffer` class works fine for this
/// purpose, and can simply be used on its own.  However, in cases
/// where objects of various different classes must serve as storage,
/// `ManagedBufferPointer` is needed.
///
/// A valid buffer class is non-`@objc`, with no declared stored
///   properties.  Its `deinit` must destroy its
///   stored `Header` and any constructed `Element`s.
/// `Header` and contiguous storage for an arbitrary number of
/// `Element` instances stored in that buffer.
public struct ManagedBufferPointer<Header, Element> : Equatable {
  /// Create with new storage containing an initial `Header` and space
  /// for at least `minimumCapacity` `element`s.
  ///
  /// - parameter bufferClass: The class of the object used for storage.
  /// - parameter minimumCapacity: The minimum number of `Element`s that
  ///   must be able to be stored in the new buffer.
  /// - parameter initialHeader: A function that produces the initial
  ///   `Header` instance stored in the buffer, given the `buffer`
  ///   object and a function that can be called on it to get the actual
  ///   number of allocated elements.
  ///
  /// - Precondition: `minimumCapacity >= 0`, and the type indicated by
  ///   `bufferClass` is a non-`@objc` class with no declared stored
  ///   properties.  The `deinit` of `bufferClass` must destroy its
  ///   stored `Header` and any constructed `Element`s.
  public init(
    bufferClass: AnyClass,
    minimumCapacity: Int,
    initialHeader: @noescape (buffer: AnyObject, capacity: @noescape (AnyObject) -> Int) throws -> Header
  ) rethrows

  /// Returns `true` iff `self` holds the only strong reference to its buffer.
  ///
  /// See `isUniquelyReferenced` for details.
  public mutating func holdsUniqueReference() -> Bool

  /// Returns `true` iff either `self` holds the only strong reference
  /// to its buffer or the pinned has been 'pinned'.
  ///
  /// See `isUniquelyReferenced` for details.
  public mutating func holdsUniqueOrPinnedReference() -> Bool

  internal var _nativeBuffer: Builtin.NativeObject
}

/// A class whose instances contain a property of type `Header` and raw
/// storage for an array of `Element`, whose size is determined at
/// instance creation.
public class ManagedBuffer<Header, Element>
  : ManagedProtoBuffer<Header, Element> {

  /// Create a new instance of the most-derived class, calling
  /// `initialHeader` on the partially-constructed object to
  /// generate an initial `Header`.
  public final class func create(
    minimumCapacity: Int,
    initialHeader: @noescape (ManagedProtoBuffer<Header, Element>) throws -> Header
  ) rethrows -> ManagedBuffer<Header, Element> {

    let p = try ManagedBufferPointer<Header, Element>(
      bufferClass: self,
      minimumCapacity: minimumCapacity,
      initialHeader: { buffer, _ in
        try initialHeader(
          unsafeDowncast(buffer, to: ManagedProtoBuffer<Header, Element>.self))
      })

    return unsafeDowncast(p.buffer, to: ManagedBuffer<Header, Element>.self)
We propose to remove the NonObjectiveCBase class and isUniquelyReferenced<T: NonObjectiveCBase>(_ object: T>.

 <https://github.com/aschwaighofer/swift-evolution/tree/remove_nonobjectivecbase#impact-on-existing-code>Impact on existing code

Existing code that uses isUniquelyReferenced will need to remove the NonObjectiveCBase base class and replace calls to isUniquelyReferenced by isUniquelyReferencedNonObjC. The old API will be marked unavailable to help migration.

 <https://github.com/aschwaighofer/swift-evolution/tree/remove_nonobjectivecbase#alternatives-considered>Alternatives considered

Leave the status quo and pay for type safety with additional API surface. Another alternative we considered -- the first version of this proposal -- was to replace the isUniquelyReferenced API by an isUniquelyReferencedUnsafe<T: AnyObject>(_ object: T) API that would assume the object to be a non- at objc class and only check this precondition under -Onone. There is however no good reason to keep this API given that the isUniquelyReferencedNonObjC is as performant when the type is statically known to be non- at objc class.