[swift-evolution] Pitch: Remove `NonObjectiveCBase` and replace `isUniquelyReferenced` by `isUniquelyReferencedUnsafe`

Arnold aschwaighofer at apple.com
Sat Jul 16 19:59:35 CDT 2016

`isUniqueReferencedNonObjC` is useful if our storage could be other a native Swift class or an objective-c class instance.
An example of this is Array's storage: It could either be a native Swift class instance or if the array was bridged from cocoa an NSArray instance. Before we write to the array we check that it is uniquely referenced and not an NSArray. If either checks fail we copy the contents to a new native Swift array.
You are correct that semantically we could compose the latter. But, in some situations, this code should be fast, for example the array code I mentioned: the overhead of two runtime calls vs one matters.