[swift-evolution] [Discussion] Seal `T.Type` into `Type<T>`

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Fri Jul 15 12:26:07 CDT 2016

Done. Personally I don’t care much if it’s .cast(from:) or .cast(_:).

Now whenever Type<T> is created and if there is no reference in type storage (which I updated to be a Set instead of a Dictionary) that contains the dynamic metatype from our current instance, it automatically downcasts itself to Type<Any> and insert itself into the type storage.

There is one more thing I’d like to discuss before we finally move to size etc.

Consider what I said above, I feel like we should tackle this:

drop init(_ copy: Type<T>) - to keep equality of Type<T> references
make all initializer internal and as exchange make sharedInstance public.
This would ensure that you will always get a reference from the type storage, and that there can only exist one for each (dynamic) metatype.

I can’t foresee the future, so I’m wondering if the type may mutate somehow when reflections are added? If so, I don’t see why we should lock references inside a single storage and care about ===.

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail