[swift-evolution] Proposals: (1) Forbidding custom `==` for value types, (2) `dispatch` keyword, (3) `default`-result for methods with `Self`, and (4) Poor-Mans-Existentials

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Fri Jul 15 07:36:39 CDT 2016

Hello Johannes,

> Am 14.07.2016 um 22:36 schrieb Johannes Neubauer via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org>:
>
> 1. Custom implementation of equals operator `==` for value types should be forbidden. Rationale: Why has it been added in the first place? For omitting some values from the equals test?

It would be nice to have an easy way to conform to Hashable & Equatable without writing much boilerplate (it's possible in other existing languages), but I see no motivation to forbid custom implementations — not only because you are free to stay away from those, but also because there can be good reasons to do so:
Equality isn't always as simple as it seems, and many developers have been bitten by issues with floating point types… instead of "a == b", often "abs(a - b) < delta" is the right choice, and a custom "==" is the only option to specify delta (given a situation where you are comparing float-members of a struct).

For the other three points, I'd suggest to present each of them later in separate threads — it's already hard to follow each topic, and it would be even harder when there are three different proposals in a single thread ;-)

Best regards,
Tino