[swift-evolution] [Returned for revision] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Charlie Monroe charlie at charliemonroe.net
Fri Jul 15 00:42:19 CDT 2016

> On Jul 14, 2016, at 11:39 PM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> To sum this all up, the core team is rejecting this proposal and requesting a revision to change the concrete syntax to “public open class Foo” instead of “subclassable class Foo".  This approach satisfies the *unwavering* goal of requiring additional thought when publishing a class as public API, makes subclass-ability orthogonal to access control, and (admittedly as a bit of a swift-evolution process hack) asks the community for an in-depth discussion of the secondary points of the proposal: does it make sense to require every member to be marked as “overridable” in order to be overridden by an open subclass outside of the current module?

+1 on open instead of subclassable.

As per the overridability I'm coming back and forth. There are certainly classes where you want just a few things to be overridable and then there are classes where you want almost everything overridable.

I would personally prefer not overridable by default, but also an addition of a modifier on open that would allow to specify default overridability:

// by default everything is overridable
open(override) class Bar

Alternatives: open(members), open(all)

This, however, requires a new keyword for "closing" a member within the module:

// Not allowed overriding beyond the module.
closed func foo()

BTW I'm not a fan of the keyword "overridable" at all. Imagine that you subclass the class in another module, override the method and expose it for yet another module and keep the overridability:

overridable override func foo()

I'd prefer the open keyword to be reused here.