[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0120: Revise 'partition' Method Signature

Károly Lőrentey karoly at lorentey.hu
Wed Jul 13 09:04:41 CDT 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1; I like the new design, and I think once in a blue moon I may
actually use the new API.

I remember looking up partition in the stdlib docs, sighing and moving
on once or twice. It seemed easier to write an explicit loop than to
hammer my problem into the shape of the old API.

Nitpick: In the "Impact on Existing Code", the sample code for the
replacement ignores the return value.

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a
> change to Swift?

I guess so; although it is a fix for a super minor problem, the
proposed change is equally nonintrusive.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Sure.

> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar
> feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

As Paul noted, Haskell and Ruby have nonmutating methods for the same
thing. It's fine to delay adding other variants for now.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick
> reading, or an in-depth study?

Quick reading plus superficial research.

--
Karoly
@lorentey

On 2016-07-12 18:12:18 +0000, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution said:

> Hello Swift community,
>
> The review of "SE-0120: Revise ‘partition' Method Signature" begins now
> and runs through July 19. The proposal is available here:
>

> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0120-revise-partition-method.md
>

> Reviews are an important part of the Swift evolution process. All
> reviews should be sent to the swift-evolution mailing list at

> or, if you would like to keep your feedback private, directly to the
> review manager.
>
> What goes into a review?
>
> The goal of the review process is to improve the proposal under review
> through constructive criticism and contribute to the direction of
> Swift. When writing your review, here are some questions you might want
> to answer in your review:
>
> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?
> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a
> change to Swift?
> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar
> feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick
> reading, or an in-depth study?
>
> More information about the Swift evolution process is available at
>
> 	https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/process.md
>
> Thank you,
>
> -Chris Lattner
> Review Manager