[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0119: Remove access modifiers from extensions

David Hart david at hartbit.com
Wed Jul 13 01:40:55 CDT 2016

>    * What is your evaluation of the proposal?

-1. I'd like to split my review of this proposal in its two features:

The loss of extensions as an access modifier grouping construct is what I really dislike. IMHO, extensions are a natural way to express that, and I wouldn't want to have `group` to achieve the same results.

But being explicit about the access of a protocol conformance seems like a nice feature to me. But not enough to warrant the above loss.

>    * Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

I'm not sure the problem really warrants a change.

>    * Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

I don't think so. I have the impression it makes the rules more complicated.

>    * If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

No.

>    * How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Serious read.