[swift-evolution] Fixing the confusion between non-mutating algorithms and single-pass sequences

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 19:01:57 CDT 2016

This more limited approach makes sense in light of the documented
reasoning. However, as a renaming proposal, I feel like I should raise some
points about the proposed name.

First, a naive interpretation of IterableOnce may cause a user to think
that a for...in loop over an IterableOnce is guaranteed to execute at least
once. It is not that a sequence is "iterable once." It could be iterable
exactly zero times. Rather, after however many iterations, the iterating
cannot take place from the beginning again.

Second, the dictionary definition of "once" lists an ambiguity, where (at
least in one source) the first meaning is "one time only." (See: <
https://www.google.com/#q=define:once>.) This could lead to
misinterpretations of the relationship where Collection is IterableOnce.

I would propose that perhaps Iterable is sufficient to convey the meaning.
There is no a priori user expectation, I think, that something iterable
remains unchanged on traversal.