[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Jean-Denis Muys jdmuys at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 14:29:45 CDT 2016

>         * What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I am strongly opposed to that proposal. I am mostly a lurker on this list,
the volume of which I cannot cope with. However, I feel this proposal is
important enough that I decided to invest more time than usual.
So I have read carefully the arguments presented here.
And I am still opposed to the proposal.
I believe no programmer, least of which myself, can be trusted with the
decision to reliably decide ahead of time that this or that class cannot or
will not be subclassed.
So strong -1 for me.

>         * Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a
> change to Swift?

I don't think the problem is a problem at all.

>         * Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Not in my mind. Swift aims for safety, but not at the price of inflexibility

        * If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar
feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

I would compare it for example to the decision for the C++ developer to
mark methods virtual or not, with the usual recommendation to mark
everything virtual, especially the destructor

        * How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick
reading, or an in-depth study?

I read it and ready carefully the debate on this list.