[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0117: Default classes to benon-subclassable publicly

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Tue Jul 12 05:26:52 CDT 2016

> This argument comes up often, but I side with some of the smartest people in the industry who say the safest thing to do is actually crash, just like Swift does in this case.
I don't like supporting positions with claims like "the smartest people say", and I personally renounce from doing so — even when I can cite a tangible name… and I think that you are walking on thin ice here in an attempt to prove something wrong just because it's coming from the other party in an discussion:
If being forced to check for existence of data is really less safe than crashing, a major element of Swift is nonsense.
Imho it's smarter to admit that this is a case where Swift does not want to pay the price for a little increase in safety — after all, this is only a sideshow with little effect on the actual topic.