[swift-evolution] Optional comparison operators

Mark Lacey mark.lacey at apple.com
Tue Jul 12 02:09:18 CDT 2016

> On Jul 11, 2016, at 11:55 PM, Jacob Bandes-Storch <jtbandes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Mark,
> Thanks for writing this up. Just to clarify, will these still work if your proposal is implemented?
>
>     let x: Int?
>     let y: Int
>     struct NotEquatable {}
>     let z: NotEquatable?
>
>     x == y; x != y
>     x == nil; x != nil
>     z == nil; z != nil
>
> I would hope that these continue to work. If any changes need to be made to ensure that, please make sure they're included in the proposal too.

The last four would work, but the first two (x == y and x != y) would not because they still involve coercing y to an optional.

Similarly, === and !== on reference types where one is an optional would require coercing one side, and would not be accepted without an explicit cast using Optional().

I’m curious what the motivation is for further special casing these operators. They do occur more in practice than <, <=, >, >= (in fact most of the source updates I had to make were due to === and !==, with == and != a close second), but overall these are still quite uncommon from what I’ve seen.

If you’d like I can certainly update the “alternatives considered” to include the suggestion that we add overloads for (T, T?) and (T?, T) for those four operators.

Mark