[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Ricardo Parada rparada at mac.com
Mon Jul 11 14:03:40 CDT 2016

WebObjects is one of the frameworks I was referring to without actually naming it.

After Apple stopped supporting WebObjects we have been able to fix, extend and enhance it all these years and has served us really well. It is an awesome framework. I really wish that Swift had a framework like it. But Swift's limited reflection is lacking and is crucial for implementing a framework like WebObjects.

Had WebObjects been designed with sealed classes, our hands would have been tied for all the many apps and systems that use it.

I am hoping that if this proposal gets approved that libraries such as these get designed as subclassable. That to me is much more valuable, at least for these types of libraries.

I think that in the long term libraries will sort themselves out. A well designed subclassable library will have more value.