[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Allow Static Function Properties to Satisfy Static Function Protocol Requirements

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Mon Jul 11 13:24:57 CDT 2016

on Sun Jul 10 2016, Jasdev Singh <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> Hey Swift Evolution!
>
> Drafted up a small proposal that harmonizes the use of static functions and
> static function properties in appropriate protocol conformance scenarios:
>
> https://github.com/Jasdev/swift-evolution/blob/static-func-static-var/proposals/XXXX-static-func-and-static-var-func-protocol-conformance.md
>
> Would love any feedback or edge cases I may have missed!

Hi Jasdev,

I wanted this once, before Swift 1 was released.  Its lack was easy to
work around and I have never wanted it since, so... I'm afraid I don't
think it is worth complicating the language for.  Your proposal shows
how the feature *can be used*, but doesn't make a compelling case that it
*will be very useful*.  That's what would be needed to convince me.

HTH,

--
Dave