[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Extending Swift Literals

Daniel Steinberg daniel at dimsumthinking.com
Mon Jul 11 06:57:51 CDT 2016

Perhaps I’m not thinking about literals correctly. I don’t think of them as something I can create in code using this syntax. I think of literals as something that I have a literal representation of. I can drag a color into Xcode or a playground. Same with an image.

In your proposal, I can imagine dragging in a URL from Safari or a webview or a sound file. I would support those two being added.

The geometry elements don’t seem to be in the same category of “thing”. Although I agree that Points and Rects can be a pain to construct, I can’t imagine what I’m dragging and dropping. If instead you want to use the literal syntax to construct one, then I’m definitely against this as that feels like a return to a stringly world in which we create things without compiler help.

Best,

Daniel