[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Introduce continue to switch statements

Ross O'Brien narrativium+swift at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 05:49:15 CDT 2016

I'm in favour of this concept being available in Swift, but it does need to
make a clear distinction somewhere between a case which matches anything
(and can catch any fallthrough/continue) and a case which matches none of
the above. I don't know whether we need to introduce an explicit term for
this, or whether we make this the distinction between 'case _:' and
'default:' (with the side-effect that we can now justify 'default' in the
language).

For example: let's use this switch to play fizzbuzz.

switch value
{
  case x where x % 3 == 0:
    print("fizz")
    continue
  case x where x % 5 == 0:
    print("buzz")
  default:
    print(value)
}

I know this is a trivial example, but it's also a frequent example used to
teach switch to programmers.
The keywords in play are 'continue' and 'default'. A multiple of 5 but not
3 will print 'buzz' and be done. A multiple of 3 and 5 will print 'fizz
buzz'. Any number not a multiple of 3 or 5 will say its value. Crucially, a
multiple of 3 but not 5 will say fizz, won't say buzz, and won't say the
number itself - whereas if we used 'case _', it would say fizz and then the
number itself.