[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Introduce continue to switch statements

Remy Demarest psycho.hedgehog at me.com
Mon Jul 11 01:09:09 CDT 2016

This is a great feature, and this is something that would allow the execution of multiple case statements that fallthrough does not currently allow. For example in today's world this is not allowed:

func blah(point: CGPoint) {
    switch (point.x, point.y) {
    case (let x, _) where x > 10:
        print("\(x)")
        fallthrough // error 'fallthrough' cannot transfer control to a case label that declares variables
    case (_, let y) where y > 10:
        print("\(y)")
    case (let x, let y) where x <= 10 && y <= 10:
        print("the point is too close from the border")

Using continue as proposed by erica would allow both patterns at the top to be evaluated and have the ability to check x and y independently.

Also this raises in my opinion an interesting point. I think along this proposal it would be great to have another type of case that would only run if no other pattern could be recognized. I'm not sure how to call it though.