[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Sun Jul 10 21:33:53 CDT 2016

> On Jul 10, 2016, at 6:45 PM, Rod Brown <rodney.brown6 at icloud.com> wrote:
>
> @Jonathan
>
> I don’t think that "pre-breaking code" is a good description. You are not breaking anything - you’re just not allowing something that *could* become unsafe. It’s safety first, at the cost of the library user’s flexibility.

It is pre-breaking in that it is the exact same code that doesn’t work in both cases (only in the pre-breaking case, a bunch of other code also doesn’t work).  I know it feels different because it “was never possible” vs our change being the cause, but it is one of those things like me giving you $5 or giving you $10 and later taking back $5.  As humans we are loss averse so we devise strategies to hide the loss from ourselves.

> That said, I actually think you have a good point however that “sealed” should be able to be overridden, either in a patch capacity or an “unsafe” capacity. Should this become final at a later point, you have acknowledged you know this will be unsafe and are willing to take this risk to get the job done. This is opt-in risk.
>
> Perhaps however this shouldn’t be “sealed” declaratively. Perhaps we just have a keyword for “Open” as an access level, and if you subclass or override things that are not “open” from other modules, you must mark unsafe.
>
> I think this is a decent compromise: We allow potential to patch, but discourage without acknowledgement of the risk. Allow Final and Open to be declarative.

Pretty much, but it is important IMHO to separate this from access levels.  They need to be orthogonal concepts or it will be confusing (e.g. why are structs “public” but classes “open”?).

The default in that case would actually be ‘sealed internal(open)’ which would suck to type repeatedly, but you won’t have to because it is the default.  The thing you would type often would be ‘public open’, which is shorter than the new keywords in the proposal (and consistent for both classes and methods instead of learning different words)

I think we basically agree overall.

Thanks,
Jon