[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Rod Brown rodney.brown6 at icloud.com
Sun Jul 10 20:37:15 CDT 2016

This is the case with a library.

It is *not* the case with a framework. Dynamically linked frameworks can be changed without the app even being changed. Imagine if Apple changed UIKit and make UINavigationController final retroactively. UIKit internally would therefore call directly to the UINavigationController methods statically, and bypass any subclass’s methods, thereby breaking applications. Should app apps have to be rebuilt to work with iOS 12 simply because Apple shipped a new version of UIKit? This is illogical. You will *break* things by finalising after the fact. Swift, being about safety, needs to deal with this safely.