[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Rod Brown rodney.brown6 at icloud.com
Sun Jul 10 16:58:17 CDT 2016

I personally agree with most of your assessments. It's why I pushed so hard for "allow subclassing my default" in the first discussion of this point.

The problem with this is simple: you cannot retroactively "close up" an API. I cannot add final to a class I have previously declared as non-final. I also can seal a class which has previously been open to subclassing.

Consider: someone builds against my framework and I do nothing, and they subclass my classes. Then later I come through and mark the classes as "Sealed". What should we do with those classes that are subclassing my classes? Nothing. I can't. I permitted access and now I'm beholden to that access level.

On the other hand, opening up access levels gradually has no such issues. Users of my class can't subclass, and then they can. They just have another tool in the bag now.

If you want a default, it should be one you can reverse later. Your default should not be the most restrictive.

Whilst I agree with most of your points, this core concept seems to trump them to my mind.

- Rod