[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Goffredo Marocchi panajev at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 08:37:37 CDT 2016

Sent from my iPhone

> On 9 Jul 2016, at 14:11, Shawn Erickson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> What I don't get in the arguments against this capability is the fact that many constructs in Swift can't be subclassed. Are we going to prevent library developers from presenting those in the public API? Your ability to subclass things when not supported by the library developer is already going to be greatly reduced. Additionally you are going to miss potentially helpful optimization in side the model if the library developer can't prevent extras subclassing.

This is one case where the automagical optimisation comes at a cost that you should be knowingly paying for. An explicit keyword that seals the class across module boundaries seems like would do the job just fine.

Also, sorry for the off topic here, libraries are meant to be used by others and developed for others and we should have helping others in mind developing them. We also should be humble enough to admit that we will not be able to explicitly allow/predict all use cases and empowering our users to experiment, report issues, and add features through pull requests. The attitude behind some of the sealed by default reasons I have seen here does not seem it is what we should have in open source software. We do not want a situation where the library author puts the library and not the users on the pedestal.