[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Paul Norton tripleshotsoftware at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 01:24:17 CDT 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?
-1

Once, for an extended portion of my career, I worked in a 'developer support' type role for a large C++ API. I had daily contact with developers who were consuming that API.
Because of that experience, I am fully convinced that library authors will never imagine all the ways developers will use a library's API.
Of course there's more to it, but I really think the reasons why this is the wrong direction have been well expressed by others.

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

No, I don't believe so. I also think it would eventually force a second change; some sort of override to the default, at which point we've extended the language further to get closer to where we started.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

I don't believe it does.

> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

N/A

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I have read the proposal, followed this discussion here but none of the previous discussion

Paul