[swift-evolution] [swift-build-dev] Proposal: SwiftPM Target Access Control

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Fri Jul 8 17:35:30 CDT 2016

Some minor points:

1. One major reason for wanting control over which targets are exported are
so packages can control which parts of their API is supported for external
use. This is very important to large projects undergoing active development
while also trying to support a well-defined, semantically versioned API.

2. In keeping with #1, and the design of the Swift language, I think the
right default is for a module to be private/unexported. This is basically
for the same reasons as `internal` is the default access control modifier
in Swift. This also relates to the discussion below.

3. If we are going to add this via a new Target attribute, I suggest we do
so using a `flags` parameter and accompanying enumeration. This will be
equally readable, I think, but more extensible over time.

4. Technically, this proposal is defining two new few features, the
public/private exported/imported part and the ability for packages to
depend on specific targets. They are related problems, but the proposals
(and implementation) are otherwise somewhat orthogonal. I'm fine combining
them into one proposal, but if it appears that one part is going to require
much more design or discussion than the other (or that the combined
discussion is too large) we might consider breaking them up.

There is a larger thing we need to consider with regard to the
public/private part of the proposal, and that is its relation to
hypothetical future support for package-level namespaces, whereby I mean
Swift language support for a new level of namespace (and accompanying
access control support in some form) for an entire Package. There are
several reasons I think that we will ultimately need such a thing, the most
major of which is the module-name collision problem (two packages that want
to use a shared common name for a module) that cannot be resolved by
SwiftPM without language support. Since such a feature is purely
hypothetical at this point, I don't think we need to block forward progress
in SwiftPM on it, but I do think we should discuss the consequences.

Some examples of how these things might be related:

1. The choice of `public/private` is probably wrong when viewed as a
language feature, since they already having existing meanings and
`internal` would be a more accurate name within the context of an
individual Package. I think we should include some discussion of the best
names if we reuse modifier names, or if there is a good argument for
finding alternate names ("exported/unexported"?).

2. Suppose Swift added support for a `package` namespace and access control
modifier. This might make it somewhat awkward if we had tied expectations
of what targets in an external dependency were built to a *manifest*-level
construct.

3. We should call out that public/private in this sense ultimately won't
have any enforcement by the compiler. If a public target exposes a type
declared in a private module implicitly (say via a return value), there
won't be any error, even though it breaks the encapsulation this feature
would partially be intended to provide. Similarly, nothing will prevent a
target from importing a private module from an external dependency if was
already a transitive dependency of some other public target.

It would be good to try and work through some of these issues and lay out
pros & cons as well as other strategies we could use to mitigate them. In
the short term I think we will need to accept and implement some form of
this proposal, so this doesn't mean working out what a full solution would
look like, let's just make sure we aren't (unknowingly) painting ourselves
into a corner.

 - Daniel