[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Fri Jul 8 16:14:56 CDT 2016

>> When was the last time you you thought "I really wish the author of that library had restricted my options to use it"?
>
> I really wish Objective-C had this feature from the start.  I believe there would have been significant benefits to Apple's platforms and ecosystem.  The reasons for believing (or not believing) this have been discussed in depth so there isn't a need to rehash them now.
I'm not asking for reasons but for a single persuasive example…

It is easy to claim that everything will be better if we add restrictions, but so far, I haven't heard of any real problems cause by the current defaults:
The motivation to change them is not because of actual experience, it's just the trendy opinion that inheritance is evil.