[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

L. Mihalkovic laurent.mihalkovic at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 17:06:48 CDT 2016

Regards
(From mobile)

> On Jul 7, 2016, at 6:23 PM, Leonardo Pessoa via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Jean, IMO marking every class as subclassable means the creator does
> not care for you to design and develop a great library because s/he is
> not caring for the library at all.

That is a grotesque depiction.

> I right now have to go through the
> burdensome activity of marking too many classes/methods as final to
> prevent misuse of my libraries and find good design workarounds when I
> need to subclass internally what I don't want you to subclass.

If one does not have the patience to review one's own work to increase its quality, and would instead prefer to hand off the responsibility of finishing writing it to the compiler (i.e. making the compiler lock things down to avoid having to type "final"), perhaps a happier solution for everyone might be easier to keep this work private?
I noticed in recent years that the quality of some open source code has gone down, seemingly under the social pressure of having to be "one of the kool-ones" with code hanging in the breeze on github. Personally I don't mind if less code makes its way to github because it is more difficult to finish it properly.