[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0077 v2: Improved operator declarations

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 14:02:14 CDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Dmitri Gribenko via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 9:27 AM, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 7, 2016, at 9:23 AM, Dmitri Gribenko via swift-evolution
> > <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> >> Proposal link:
> >>

> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0077-operator-precedence.md
> >
> > Dave, Max and I discussed SE-0077 and reviewed the names of precedence
> > groups.
> > Here's our recommendation.
> >
> > In general, we think some names don't read well and have some
> ambiguities,
> > for
> > example, "LogicalAndPrecedence" (looks like a conjunction),
> > "AdditivePrecedence" ("additive" is an adjective that modifies
> > "precedence"),
> > "RangePrecedence" ("range" is not an adjective, stands out).
> >
> > We think that two directions would be fruitful:
> >
> > 1.  If the names of precedence groups will be in the same namespace as
> > types,
> >     then we recommend pushing the names of precedence groups into a
> > "namespace",
> >     for example "Precedence.Assignment".
> >

> > We don't have any language features that would allow this.
>
> 'precedencegroup' that is being proposed is a new language feature, we
> can choose to use any syntax we like with it.

If you're going to design a new language feature to sink precedence groups
into a namespace of their own, you might as well sink them into an
unutterable namespace, effectively moving them out of the same namespace as
types altogether, no?