[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Charlie Monroe charlie at charliemonroe.net
Wed Jul 6 23:51:00 CDT 2016

> On Jul 7, 2016, at 1:10 AM, Ricardo Parada via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> In the motivation section performance is also mentioned as driving this proposal. However I don't see any study that supports that. I would like to see that. This should not be taken lightly.

There kind of was a discussion on this.

John McCall (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution/22111 <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution/22111>)

> Finally, the specific form of devirtualization in question here, where a method is proven to never be overridden (again, very common for accessors!), can have a significant impact separate from any calls because the method essentially no longer needs to be virtual.  That is, it can be removed from the virtual method tables completely, and we may be able to completely avoid emitting it.  That shrinks the size of global memory (and the binary), decrease the amount of work that has to be done at load-time, and improves locality within the virtual table.

I remember that he's mentioned some benchmark final vs. non-final where the difference was in some cases staggering. In general, when you enable whole-module optimization, the compiler can treat all classes within the module as final and optimize mainly accessing properties since they are then known to be final...