[swift-evolution] [Rejected] SE-0108: Remove associated type inference

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Wed Jul 6 21:56:57 CDT 2016

Proposal Link: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0108-remove-assoctype-inference.md

The second review of "SE-0108: Remove associated type inference" ran from June 29 ... July 4, 2016. The proposal has been *rejected*:

The community and core team agree that removing this feature will impose an unacceptable user experience regression for developers using Swift generics, including important protocols like Collection.  While we all seek the simplifications to the compiler internals that the proposal would allow, we will have to consider other approaches to achieving that in subsequent releases.

Thank you to Douglas Gregor and Austin Zheng for driving this discussion forward!

-Chris Lattner
Review Manager