[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Leonardo Pessoa me at lmpessoa.com
Wed Jul 6 16:13:35 CDT 2016

So I did get what you meant right. Now tell me: if a class or method
is internal to your module (and you know internal means only you,
throught your source code, inside your app or library can extend it),
do you really need to mark anything as final for any reason? Final on
any non-publics is a restriction you put on yourself, you will always
have the power to lift that at any time (as long as you still own the
code, of course) so you are always in control of your subclasses and
overrides. All the time. It's up to you to subclass/override or not.
This is different from what you make public: you either have no
control or you have to fine grain control making everything final. You
regain that control over your publics with this proposal.

You can also try and simplify your outlines reducing X.c and X.d to a
single entry as it is the same rule applied to two different elements
of the language. Using one single keyword (such as in 'open') would
make it clearer and that is why I prefer to have only one keyword.

So, AFAICS, number 3 is how it should be with this proposal. As for
keeping the final keyword (sticking with number 2), I think it is up
to the community. I myself don't see any reason/need for it should
this proposal pass.