[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0115: Rename Literal Syntax Protocols

Roth Michaels roth at rothmichaels.us
Wed Jul 6 11:58:18 CDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 01 2016 at 07:07:48 PM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> 	https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0115-literal-syntax-protocols.md

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?
+1 to the concept of the proposal.

I prefer some of the alternate names that have been discussed:
- ExpressibleByIntegerLiteral > ExpressibleAsIntegerLiteral
- Syntax.IntergerLiteralProtocol > ExpressibleByIntergerLiteral
- Syntax.Literal.IntegerProtocol > Syntax.IntergerLiteralProtocol

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of
> 	Swift?
Increasing clarity of the names feels in line with the direction of
Swift, but I am not sure which naming convention would be the most
Swifty.

> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar
> feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
I have not previously looked at how this is implemented in other
languages.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a
> quick reading, or an in-depth study?
I casually followed the original discussion surrounding SE-0041.

I browsed the recent discussion on names to get a sense of which names
were being discussed in the community to try to offer some feedback with
minimal bike-shedding.

--
Roth Michaels
roth at rothmichaels.us