[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0117: Default classes to be non-subclassable publicly

Jose Cheyo Jimenez cheyo at masters3d.com
Wed Jul 6 10:38:02 CDT 2016

>    * What is your evaluation of the proposal?
Plus one. Open is my keyword of choice.

>    * Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes. But I think some sort of patch ability should be introduced as a compromised.
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution/1805/match=patch+sealed

Perhaps a way to have an extension on a sealed class to be marked as a patch that is able to hook up to the willSet/didSet on a sealed property or be able to run before or after a method function. I think something like this could ease the pain of a completely closed to patching system.

>    * Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
Yes.
>    * If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
>    * How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Moderate effort.