[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0110: Distinguish between single-tuple and multiple-argument function types

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 09:35:42 CDT 2016

On 06.07.2016 0:07, Jordan Rose wrote:

>> On Jul 3, 2016, at 5:02, Vladimir.S via swift-evolution
>> <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:

>>> Following your conclusion, should this be legal as well?
>>>
>>> let f: () -> Void = { x in print(x) } // f() prints "()"
>>> let f: (Int) -> Void = { x in print(x) } // f(5) prints "5"
>>>
>>> In other words, "0 argument" is an impossible scenario?
>>
>> I don't see problems here. ()->Void means (Void)->Void, there *is* one
>> parameter of Void type, which we can omitted as it is empty tuple. So, if
>> you want you can write f(()) or or let z = (); f(z); or just f(), so in
>> closure definition you can have one argument or can have 0 defined
>> arguments if the only argument is of type Void.
>
> I already said this on the bug you filed, but I disagree quite strongly
> with this interpretation, based
> on <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0029-remove-implicit-tuple-splat.md>SE-002
> <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0029-remove-implicit-tuple-splat.md>9.
> IMO, going from (()) to () is a form of tuple splat.

I believe this is not my "interpretation" but how the Swift 3.0 works right
now and going from (()) to () is an edge case that we should discuss
separately.

I understand your opinion, and probably you have correct interpretation of
SE-0029, and probably current behavior of ()->Void vs (Void)->Void is just
a long-running bug, but all that I want to achieve from this discussion -
is to get clear reply regarding this question from core team / community
like "yes, it is clearly decided and consensus was found, that current
behavior is a bug and in Swift 3.0 it is will be not possible to send '()'
aka Void to function defined as emtpy-parameters function. If you need to
pass emtpy tuple to func - you'll need to define it as (Void)->Something".