[swift-evolution] Separating the finite-vs-infinite distinction from single-vs-multi-pass

Anton Zhilin antonyzhilin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 07:51:22 CDT 2016

1. Do nothing with finiteness, because huge sequences are mostly like
infinite ones, plus because infinite loops are useful
2. Allow collections to be infinite
3. Do not add new fields to collections, because infinite loops are useful
4, Do not separate protocols
Current model of IteratorProtocol + Sequence is a very simple and clean way
to define one's own iterables. Let's not break it.

Now to single-pass-ness.
I would suggest the following model:
1. Iterable protocol is base of everything that can be used in for loop.
Contains all single-pass-able operations.
2. IteratorProtocol is what Iterable returns. IteratorProtocol conforms to
Iterable, returns itself. Single-pass sequences should conform to
IteratorProtocol.
3. Sequence protocol conforms to Iterable. Sequences are multi-pass.

Also, we should leave both Sequence and Collection trees, because correctly
conforming to Collection is a hard work, and correctly conforming to
Sequence must be easy as pie.