[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Sealed classes by default

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Tue Jul 5 20:42:30 CDT 2016

> On Jul 2, 2016, at 10:58 AM, L. Mihalkovic <laurent.mihalkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Regards
> LM
> (From mobile)
>
> On Jun 30, 2016, at 9:12 AM, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com <mailto:rjmccall at apple.com>> wrote:

>>> Look at some of the public libs on github for server side swift.. one recently claimed 50 modules and counting... I think swift is missing a level of containment below modules, and people are starting to make up for it by creating a flury of (1class+1protocol) modules, especially now that package manager makes it so trivial to create them. I think this is only the begining... and nodejs is there to show how insane it could become:  remember the recent "trimleft" nightmare (1 module with 15 LOC including brackets used pervasively that suddenly disapears).
>>
>> I'm not arguing that there aren't going to be a lot of libraries.  We're all excited about the number of libraries.  Libraries are great.
>
> The issue is that according to this year's very interesting talk on perf is that an app's startup time can get thrown over the limit by having to perform too much relocation during dylib loading. I doubt too many will actually pay attention (i just started a nodejs app a couple days ago and before it did anything, bringing in angular and a few other dependencies downloaded 168M in over 60 modules)

I'm referring to libraries as a tool for code organization.  Right now, some of the build tooling around Swift assumes that libraries have to be built as a separate dynamic library, and I agree that that's really unfortunate.

>> I'm trying to understand whether the objections here — which only matter on library boundaries — are motivated by any concrete experience writing such libraries in Swift.
>>
>> Michael's argument was that sealed-by-default will be a major problem for those libraries and their users.  Let's suppose that there's a library with a public class, and it's sealed by default.  We can conclude that the author has never once tried to subclass this class outside of their library, because if they had, they would have gotten a compiler error.  Therefore, at best, if I hack the library to allow subclasses, I'm going to be doing something that has never once been tested and certainly was not considered when the class was written.  It's pretty clear that this is not the developer's intent.
>
> I think that you r considering an already sophisticated developer to whom you attribute the thought of 'whats it gonna be to use my code'. compared to the real life i know. That said I spent some time thinking about your arguments and I guess i can live with sealed (

Okay.  I think this has been a really productive conversation, and it's definitely made the proposal better, thank you.

John.