[swift-evolution] Class mutation model and value-constrained protocols

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Tue Jul 5 16:42:31 CDT 2016

> On Jul 5, 2016, at 4:15 PM, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

> on Tue Jul 05 2016, Chris Lattner <clattner-AT-apple.com> wrote:
>
>>> It's also possible that I've overestimated the seriousness of the issue
>>> and we actually can afford to postpone thinking about it until after
>>> Swift 4.
>>
>> There is no chance that we will have time to re-evaluate this for Swift 3.
>
> There are too many things in that category already... but I guess maybe
> “we can't afford to postpone thinking about this” is a moot point in
> that context.  OK, I'll put it on ice.

Agree.  I hope things as important as a mutability model for classes will still give them due consideration after Swift 3 even if it means a breaking change.

I don’t recall any statements regarding Swift 3.x vs Swift 4, but maybe there is still a chance to do some of these things in the Swift 3.x set of releases (where x > 0) without waiting for Swift 4.

I was going to comment on the mutability model for classes, but now that you’re putting it on ice I’ll save my comments until we pick it back up.