[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0115: Rename Literal Syntax Protocols

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Tue Jul 5 16:04:49 CDT 2016

[Proposal: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0115-literal-syntax-protocols.md <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0115-literal-syntax-protocols.md> ]

> On Jul 3, 2016, at 9:52, David Sweeris via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 2, 2016, at 23:16, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> Change it to "Syntax.ExpressibleByIntegerLiteral" and I'd be onboard but
>> I don't think it would pass the DaveTest despite it being only 2 characters longer.[1]
>
> Yeah, I agree with "By" instead of "As". It makes it a bit clearer that these protocols kinda work backwards, so to speak. That is, if I understand things correctly, rather than adding functionality/semantics to the conforming type, conforming to a literal protocol adds functionality/semantics to the corresponding literal "type" (which we can't directly interact with because they don't actually exist within Swift's type system).

I like "By" much better than "As". For me, "expressible as integer literal" has the meaning we don't want, with no hint of ambiguity: "you can go from a concrete type to a literal" (rather than the correct "you can go from a literal to a concrete type").

Jordan