[swift-evolution] [Discussion] Zero-element tuple glitch

Austin Zheng austinzheng at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 17:41:36 CDT 2016

Void is just a typealias for (). () is the only type in Swift whose type and only instance are spelled the same way, as far as I can tell. This isn't true for Void, since Void is only a type, not the value.

As for the zero-argument/one-argument problem...how often does realistic code need to pass in a zero-argument function to a function type that takes one argument? If the answer is "often", we should consider what it would take to define an implicit conversion. Otherwise, maybe we can get away with a standard library adapter that can be used to wrap a () -> T as a U -> T (where U = () or something).

Austin