[swift-evolution] [Draft] Rationalizing Sequence end-operation names

Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky nevin.brackettrozinsky at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 10:25:35 CDT 2016

The incomplete range concept is quite intriguing.

Have we considered spelling the operators with an asterisk at the
incomplete end?
prefix *..<
prefix *...
postfix ...*
postfix ..<*

That way the use-sites would look like:
someCollection[*..<idx]
someCollection[*...idx]
someCollection[idx...*]
someCollection[idx..<*]

>From a “first-glance” perspective, the asterisk “looks like” a wildcard
placeholder, which should help readers and writers of code to understand
the meaning.

And from a future language development standpoint, we’ll keep the
triple-dot spelling available for whatever needs may arise (tuple
splatting, variadic generics, etc.)

Thoughts?

Nevin