[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Importing Objective-C 'id' as Swift 'Any'

Kevin Lundberg kevin at klundberg.com
Sun Jul 3 00:15:58 CDT 2016

+1, as long as the weird dynamic @objc method lookup behavior on
AnyObject isn't also carried over to Any as part of this proposal.  This
behavior is a source of frustration for me as it reduces how much I can
reason about code i work with when it creeps in unknowingly, and I don't
even like properties being exposed (which option 3 suggests), since
that's where I see it come up most often day to day. I'd personally like
to see it go away completely.

I brought this up on the list a few months ago but I ended up not being
able to pursue a proposal at the time. However, my idea was that if we
need to keep dynamic lookup around, a dedicated protocol could have this
behavior applied to it, so that API consumers who need it could
explicitly opt into using the dynamic method lookup:

@objc protocol ObjcObject {} // defined in the stdlib/overlay/wherever
it makes the most sense

(Foo.foo() as ObjcObject).someDynamicallyDiscoveredMethod()

This has the added benefit of notifying readers of the code that it
isn't portable, since the type of the value is made explicit as one that
only is allowed in obj-c. Would this be a satisfactory solution to the
problem if this behavior needs to stay in place?

- Kevin