[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Remove destructive consumption from Sequence

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Fri Jul 1 18:32:54 CDT 2016

on Fri Jul 01 2016, Matthew Johnson <matthew-AT-anandabits.com> wrote:

> [...]
> iterator and returns it.  `LazyFilterCollection` has to loop until it
> finds the first item matching the predicate in its `startIndex`
> implementation.  The part I was missing is that `IndexingIterator`
> gets the `startIndex` in its initializer.
>

>>> `startIndex` for `LazyFilterCollection` currently has O(N) complexity.
>>> The complexity of a complete iteration doesn’t change and probably
>>> isn’t a big deal, but it’s worth noting.
>>
>> Filtered collection views always require a bit of hand-waving around
>> performance guarantees; I don't think that changes.
>>
>>> I’ve been looking at some code that wraps a sequence and considering
>>> how it would be impacted.  With iterators it looks like this:
>>>
>>> guard let element = base.next()
>>>  else { return nil }
>>>
>>> With collections and indices it would look something like this:
>>>
>>> base.formIndex(after: &index)
>>> guard index != baseEndIndex
>>>   else { return endIndex }
>>>
>>> let element = base[index]
>>>
>>> That’s not too bad but it is more verbose.
>>
>> Sequence today is a single-pass thing.  If you are wrapping Sequence
>> today presumably you'd wrap an Iterator tomorrow, and you wouldn't have
>> to deal with indices.
>>
>>> If we’re going to push people towards collections and indices we
>>> should try to make common patterns like “update the iteration state
>>> and return the next element if there is one" simpler.
>>
>> That's IndexingIterator.
>
> Cool, I wrote this thinking that was going away.
>

>>> This could be accomplished with an extension method along these lines:
>>>
>>> guard let element = base.formIndex(after: &index,
>>> .returningOptionalElement)
>>>    else { return endIndex }
>>>
>>> With an implementation something like:
>>>
>>> enum FormIndexResult {
>>>    .returningOptionalElement
>>> }
>>> extension Collection {
>>>    func formIndex(after i: inout Self.Index, _ result:
>>> FormIndexResult) -> Self.Element?
>>> }
>>>
>>> This would provide similar functionality to `IndexingIterator` without
>>> coupling the storage of `elements` and `position` (which is important
>>> if you’re wrapping a collection and need to wrap the collection and
>>> its indices independently).
>>
>> I'm afraid I don't understand.  Could you be more explicit about what
>> you have in mind?
>
> The idea was to provide functionality similar to `IndexingIterator` in
> the sense the following code would provide equivalent functionality to
> `iterator.next()` but expressed in terms of a collection and an index:
>
> let optionalElement = myCollection.formIndex(after: &myIndex, . returningOptionalElement)
>
> vs
>
> let optionalElement = myIterator.next()
>
> The single case enum is just there to provide a label that
> differentiates the overload.
>
> If we’re keeping IndexingIterator this probably isn’t necessary.  I
> still have a use case for it but it is rather obscure.

I can imagine wanting a design like the above for cases where
implementing the endIndex requires adding an extra bit of state, e.g. in

  struct LazyPrefix<Base: Collection> : Collection {
    init(_ base: Base, where: (C.Element)->Bool)

you don't want to traverse the base collection eagerly just to come up
with an endIndex, so you store an optional Base.Index in
LazyPrefix.Index, which is nil for the endIndex.  In these cases, index
comparison is less efficient than it might otherwise be.

But my answer for these cases is simple: simply use a specialized
Iterator that will be more efficient than IndexingIterator.  Is there a
reason that doesn't work for your case?

>> On second thought, I believe it is important to have a way to support
>> existing “partially formed” multipass sequences that don't expose
>> copying or equality for their iteration states.
>
> Can you provide examples of these?  I’m having difficulty thinking of
> one.

NSSet is an example.

>> Iterator is the right way to do that.  So I think we need to keep
>> Iterator around.
>
> I don’t have any objection to keeping it either. :) Hopefully we’d
> still be able to improve the design in the future if / when new
> enabling language features come along.
>

>>> In the meantime, people would be able to implement their own protocol
>>> for single pass sequences.  What they would lose is for..in as well as
>>> the standard library algorithms.  I’m not sure how many people this
>>> would impact or how big the impact would be for them.  We have seen a
>>> couple of examples in this discussion, but probably not enough to
>>> asses the overall impact.
>>>
>>> One thing you don’t mention here is a distinction between finite and
>>> infinite single-pass sequences (iterators).  I don’t know if the
>>> finite / infinite distinction is as important here, but wanted to
>>> point it out.  Obviously if we remove support single-pass sequences
>>> now we could defer that discussion until we’re ready to bring back
>>> support for them.
>>
>> There are a few possible answers I can think of:
>>
>> 1. Do the “obvious” thing and create a separate protocol for finite
>>   single-pass sequences
>>
>> 2. Decide that the combination of infinite and single-pass is rare
>>   enough (/dev/urandom, temperature sensor) that it's better to just
>>   ask people handling them to be careful and not, e.g., try to “count”
>>   them.
>>
>> 3. Decide that everything on a single-pass sequence is lazy. Since you
>>   can only take a single pass anyway, people won't observe their
>>   closures being called more often than necessary, which was the main
>>   motivator for making map, filter, et. al eager on collections without
>>   an explicit .lazy.
>>
>> Implications of #3:
>>
>> * Any “partially-formed” multipass sequences (modeling only Iterator)
>>  would be free to expose an accurate underestimatedCount, thereby
>>  optimizing the process of copying into an array. The lazy filter
>>  Iterator adaptor would have an underestimatedCount of 0.
>>
>> * All algorithms that require multiple passes, such as sorted(), would
>>  be unavailable on Iterator.  You'd have to construct an Array (or
>>  other MutableCollection) and sort that in-place.  Of course,
>>  constructing an Array from an Iterator could still go on forever if
>>  the Iterator turned out to be infinite, which means, at some level #3
>>  is just a refinement of #2 that makes it less error-prone.
>
> Do you lean towards any of these?

Yes, #3.

We can always make the few operations that have to be eager—such as
Array construction from an Iterator—explicit with a label or something:

      Array(claimingFiniteness: someIterator)

--
Dave