[swift-evolution] Besides pi, include also e as a builtin mathematical constant into floats

Stephen Canon scanon at apple.com
Fri Jul 1 13:46:50 CDT 2016

https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160411/015021.html

> In general, the line for mathematical functions appears to have been set pretty high for inclusion in SE-0067, focusing instead on IEEE 754 capabilities and general design/naming. There are a number of features missing from a standard math library such as the ability to do trigonometric and hyperbolic operations, exponential and logarithmic operations, and so on. I am not sure what criteria determined where this line was drawn. I suspect it was trying to get to a point of just additive changes.

That’s exactly right.

I expect that math functions and constants will eventually make up a math protocol, separate from FloatingPoint.  For the short-term, that niche is filled by the C standard library.  `pi` is so frequently used that we made an exception for it.

– Steve