[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0077 v2: Improved operator declarations

Anton Zhilin antonyzhilin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 11:20:22 CDT 2016

John McCall via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at ...> writes:

> > There is a high chance that 'higherThan'/'lowerThan' names will be
> > chosen. I still see a problem with that. Keywords in Swift are
written
> > in full lowercase, so we should actually take
'higherthan'/'lowerthan'.

> > But then what's the point of the preposition? It blends with
> > higher/lower and doesn't actually add any clarity. So we should drop
> > 'than' and have just higher/lower or above/below or
succeeds/preceeds or
> > whatever we choose, but *in a single word*.
>
> The preposition does add clarity.  Are the listed precedences the ones
that are
> higher than the current precedence, or are they the ones that the
current
> precedence is higher than?
>
> John.

I meant that following keywords should be preferred to be written in all
lowercase. But in our case, we lose clarity from doing so.

An elegant solution seems to be to find expressive single-word keywords
for our purpose, their advantage is that they can strictly follow
keyword naming rules without losing clarity.

It seems that mine and some other people' concerns are based on this
naming inconsistency of  higherThan  and  lowerThan. There are plenty of
other good options: above/below, before/after, precedes/succeeds.

I know your opinion, but anyways want this argument to be risen during
internal discussion.